A 5K WALK FOR FREEDOM
Compassion First is calling all advocates for freedom to join together on July 30, World Day Against Trafficking in Persons, in a Virtual 5k Lantern Walk for Freedom to create awareness and support for survivors of sex trafficking. Our lanterns will represent a world of advocates lighting the way for survivors, pursuing a future where she can pursue her dreams.
The symbol of the lantern finds its roots in Reverend John Rankin, who made the freedom of enslaved people his life and calling. With his house high on a hill and visible for miles, Rankin would raise a lantern when it was safe for escaping slaves to cross the Ohio River. Many people ascended the 540-foot staircase he had built to aid them to his home of refuge. It is suggested that none of those who stayed there were ever recaptured.
Throughout history, the lantern has represented freedom, safety, and hope. Together, we can light the way for more survivors to find a path to a bright new future.
Here’s What You Can Do:
- Register as a Participant
- Your $45 registration fee includes a CF Lantern Walk 5k tee-shirt and lantern.
- Map your own course around your community on behalf of the brave and resilient survivors who are pursuing their dreams.
- Host your own Lantern Walk Party
- Invite your friends and family to register, and then come together on July 30 for a backyard BBQ or game night, culminating in a Lantern Walk around your neighborhood.
- Donate to the Cause
- From rescue to restoration, your generosity makes a way for a survivor to experience freedom in every step of her journey.